- Grades 6-12
- School Leaders
Enter Our Chromebook Giveaway 💻! 8 Winners, One Each Week
50 Third Grade Math Word Problems of the Day
The area of Happytown is 42 square miles.
Opening your daily math lesson with a Math Word Problem of the Day is an excellent way to set the stage for learning. We all know that word problems are difficult for young learners to grasp, even when the mathematical operation portion of the problem is basic. Incorporate these third grade math word problems one day at a time at the start of your math block to build confidence, critical thinking skills, and a learning community. Students will get used to reading slowly for meaning, while also identifying key information. Encourage students to write out equations and draw pictures to explain their thinking, since this helps them see the light when they are stuck!
Topics covered include addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, mixed operation, fractions, area and perimeter, and measurement. All you need to do is post one of these third grade math word problems on your whiteboard or projector screen, then let kids take it from there.
Want this entire set of word problems in one easy document? Get your free PowerPoint bundle by submitting your email here .
50 Third Grade Math Word Problems
1. gage went shopping and bought 19 cupcakes, 18 apple pies, and 47 glazed donuts. how many items did he buy altogether.
2. A shelter is taking care of 384 cats. 176 more arrive. How many cats are in the shelter now?
3. Gabby has 42 books on her bookshelf. Her dad gives her 23 more for her birthday. How many books does Gabby have now?
4. There were 823 people attending a soccer game after 37 people left. How many people were at the game before the people left?
5. Mr. Washington has 44 pencils. He found 37 pencils inside of the cubbies and opened a new pack of 60 pencils. How many pencils does Mr. Washington have in all?
6. Jeff plays Minecraft. On Monday he played for 67 minutes. On Tuesday he played for 32 minutes, and on Wednesday he played for 43 minutes. How many total minutes did Jeff play during the week?
7. Smith Elementary School has 286 boys and 241 girls. What is the total number of students that attend Smith Elementary?
8. Ashley rides her bike to school every day. The ride from her house to her school takes 21 minutes. If she has already been biking for 17 minutes, how much longer does she have to ride before she arrives at school?
9. Jason baked 93 cookies to sell at the school bake sale. He plans to take home whatever cookies he doesn’t sell. If he sold 77 cookies, how many cookies will he take home?
10. A school collects money for T-shirts. Third graders collected $327. Fourth graders collected 138 fewer dollars. How much money did fourth graders collect?
11. Hayden has 610 stickers. There are 250 in a white box and some in a yellow box. How many are in the yellow box?
12. The table shows students’ class points. Which two students’ scores have a difference of 15 points?
13. Ms. Brady has 356 tomato plants. She sells 91 of the plants and gives 49 of the plants away. How many tomato plants does Ms. Brady have left?
14. David’s mom buys apples for his class. There are 5 rows of 4 green apples. There is 1 row of 4 red apples. Fill in the blanks to complete the expressions.
15. A box of chocolates has 14 rows. There are 6 pieces of chocolate in each row. How many pieces of chocolate are in the box?
16. Christy and Jan are playing a card game. Christy has 4 cards and Jan has 4 times as many cards. How many cards do they have together?
17. Emerson is in charge of collecting the basketballs at the end of gym class. There are 6 bins, and 7 basketballs can fit in each bin. How many basketballs are there if each bin is full?
18. Luz had two pages of homework. Each page had five problems on it. How many total problems did she have to complete?
19. Keyanna was drawing on scrap paper. She could fit seven drawings on each page. If she has three pieces of paper, how many drawings can she make?
20. A bakery sells one sugar cookie for $2.00. How much will a dozen sugar cookies cost?
21. Mrs. Smith is getting her classroom ready for the first day of school. She has 25 students in her class. She wants 5 students to sit at every table. How many tables will she need?
22. Alex is organizing his school supplies. He has 141 index cards. He wants to split them into 3 piles. How many cards will each pile get?
23. Mrs. Blackley’s class plays a review game. The class earns 5 points every time they answer a question correctly. On Monday, the class earns 50 points playing the game. How many questions did the class answer correctly?
24. Maria has 56 gummy bears. She will give all the gummy bears to 8 of her friends. Each friend will get the same number. How many gummy bears will each friend receive?
25. Daniel has 63 coins and 9 piggy banks. If each piggy bank has the same number of coins, how many coins are in each piggy bank?
26. Leslie has 32 dolls in 4 baskets. Each basket has the same number of dolls. How many dolls are in each basket?
27. Levi has 10 fish in his fish tank. 4 fish are goldfish and the rest are minnows. What fraction of the fish are goldfish?
28. Melanie has 8 colored pencils. 3 are green, 2 are yellow, and 3 are blue. What fraction of the pencils are blue?
29. Hannah has a bag of M&M’s. There are 24 M&M’s in the bag. 8 are red, 6 are green, 7 are yellow, and 3 are brown. What fraction of the M&M’s are brown?
30. Mr. Brown needs to order pizza for 18 students. He wants each student to have ¼ of a pizza. How many pizzas should he order?
31. The class took a survey about favorite animals. ¼ of students chose lions as their favorite animal, and ½ of the students chose elephants. The other students chose either sharks or whales. Partition a circle graph to show these results.
32. John wanted a chocolate cake for his birthday. After blowing out the candles, he cut the cake. Out of his 12 party guests, only 6 ate cake. John let his friend Jackson take half the remaining cake home. What fraction of the cake was left over?
33. The area of a rectangle is 72 square units. One side has a length of 9 units. What is the other side length?
34. Monico drew a shape. It was a quadrilateral, and all sides were the same length. Which shape did Monico draw?
35. Gloria is buying a new rug for her bedroom floor. If the floor measures 12 feet x 12 feet, which size rug does she need?
36. The area of Happytown is 42 square miles. If the length is 7 miles, what is the perimeter of the town?
37. Aiden read 2 pages in his chapter book every day for 7 days. The book has 32 total pages. How many pages does Aiden have left to read?
38. Sophia has a twenty dollar bill. She buys six pop-it fidget toys for $2 each. How much money does Sophia have left?
39. There are 10 people at a cookout. Each person will eat 2 hot dogs. There are 8 hot dogs in a package. How many packages are needed?
40. Mrs. Potter bought 160 index cards. She gave the first row 55 index cards, then the second row 72 index cards. How many does she have left to give to the last row?
41. Samantha has 38 markers. She gives 29 markers to her classmates. Then she opens a new pack of 15 markers. How many markers does she have now?
42. There were 18 volleyballs in a bag and 13 volleyballs in a basket. 10 of these were used at recess. How many volleyballs were not used?
43. Mrs. Horton has 1 gallon of milk. She poured out 3 cups of milk. How many cups of milk does she have left?
44. Mark needs to buy yarn for 5 friends to do a science activity. Each friend needs 2 feet of green yarn and 1 foot of purple yarn. How many yards of yarn does Mark need to buy?
45. Nadine’s new jump rope is 4 inches longer than her old jump rope. Her old jump rope was 32 inches long. How long is Nadine’s new jump rope?
46. Dervin lined paper clips up in two rows. Each row was 18 feet long. How many feet of paper clips did Dervin have if he added the two rows together?
47. London started looking for her missing dog at 2:10 pm. It took her 43 minutes to find him. What time did London find her dog?
48. Damon took a train from his house to downtown. The train left the station at 1:08 pm and traveled 33 minutes before arriving downtown. What time did the train arrive?
49. Hannah worked on her homework for 37 minutes. If she started at 7:14 pm, what time did she finish her homework?
50. Kevin started cleaning his room at 6:03 pm. If he finally finished at 6:40 pm, how long did Ned spend cleaning his room?
If you like these third grade math word problems, check out our third grade hub for even more resources.
Get a ppt version of these word problems..
Copyright © 2023. All rights reserved. 5335 Gate Parkway, Jacksonville, FL 32256
Reading & Math for K-5
- Learning numbers
- Comparing numbers
- Place Value
- Roman numerals
- Order of operations
- Drills & practice
- Factoring & prime factors
- Shape & geometry
- Data & graphing
- Word problems
- Children's stories
- Leveled Stories
- Context clues
- Cause & effect
- Compare & contrast
- Fact vs. fiction
- Fact vs. opinion
- Main idea & details
- Story elements
- Conclusions & inferences
- Sounds & phonics
- Words & vocabulary
- Reading comprehension
- Early writing
- Numbers & counting
- Simple math
- Social skills
- Other activities
- Dolch sight words
- Fry sight words
- Multiple meaning words
- Prefixes & suffixes
- Vocabulary cards
- Other parts of speech
- Cursive alphabet
- Cursive letters
- Cursive letter joins
- Cursive words
- Cursive sentences
- Cursive passages
- Grammar & Writing
- Word Problems
Mixed word problems
Download & Print Only $7.90
Short word problems using the 4 operations
These word problems are relatively short, requiring minimal reading. They do not have any extra or superfluous data so the principal challenge for the student is to choose between addition, subtraction, multiplication or division in order to arrive at the answer.
These worksheets are available to members only.
Join K5 to save time, skip ads and access more content. Learn More
More word problem worksheets
Explore all of our math word problem worksheets , from kindergarten through grade 5.
What is K5?
K5 Learning offers free worksheets , flashcards and inexpensive workbooks for kids in kindergarten to grade 5. Become a member to access additional content and skip ads.
Our members helped us give away millions of worksheets last year.
We provide free educational materials to parents and teachers in over 100 countries. If you can, please consider purchasing a membership ($24/year) to support our efforts.
Members skip ads and access exclusive features.
Learn about member benefits
This content is available to members only.
- Forgot Password?
Grade 3 Word Problem Worksheets
These word problem worksheets for grade 3 will help your students apply their knowledge of the four operations. Doing simple equations is easy! Applying your knowledge to answer word problems is the real challenge! These free worksheets are a great way for your students to work on solving word problems. The worksheets include addition, subtraction and multiplication. For more word problem worksheets, check out MashUp Maths . They have a bunch of great free word problem worksheets to help your students in Mathematics.
Click to Preview
Click to Preview.
A bundle of the 3 resources.
Grade 2 & 3
A bundle of 6 Grade 2 & 3 resources. Click to Preview.
Grade 4/5 Word Problem Task Cards
Daily Math Word Problems are vital to student development in Mathematics. This resource has 50 task cards, available in worksheet form with answers. Applying mathematical knowledge to solve word problems is extremely important. Some students understand how to solve equations but struggle to apply their knowledge when solving word problems. Doing daily word problems has helped my class a lot and I hope these flash cards will help yours!
Grade 3 Math Lessons - Ready to Go!
Need some math lessons that are ready to go? Check out these lessons that have PowerPoints, worksheets and puzzles. They make your lesson prep so easy!
Terms and conditions, refund policy, check out our new resources.
Algebra & Pre-Algebra
Daily Math Review
Division (Long Division)
Order of Operations
Word Problems (Daily)
More Math Worksheets
Reading Comprehension Gr. 1
Reading Comprehension Gr. 2
Reading Comprehension Gr. 3
Reading Comprehension Gr. 4
Reading Comprehension Gr. 5
Reading Comprehension Gr. 6
Reading & Writing
Cause & Effect
Fact & Opinion
Fix the Sentences
Synonyms & Antonyms
Writing Story Pictures
More ELA Worksheets
More Phonics Worksheets
Sight Word Units
Sight Words (Individual)
More Early Literacy
Subjects and Predicates
More Grammar Worksheets
Spelling Grade 1
Spelling Grade 2
Spelling Grade 3
Spelling Grade 4
Spelling Grade 5
More Spelling Worksheets
Magic Tree House #1
More Literacy Units
Animal (Vertebrate) Groups
Butterfly Life Cycle
Matter (Solid, Liquid, Gas)
Space - Solar System
More Science Worksheets
Maps (Map Skills)
More Social Studies
New Year's Worksheets
More Holiday Worksheets
Puzzles & Brain Teasers
Logic: Addition Squares
Mystery Graph Pictures
Lost in the USA
More Thinking Puzzles
More Teacher Helpers
Pre-K and Kindergarten
Numbers and Counting
Word Search Generator
Multiple Choice Generator
More Generator Tools
Full Website Index
Daily Word Problems - Level C (3rd Grade)
Here you'll find Daily Math Word Problem worksheets for 3rd graders (Level C). The problems start out basic in the beginning, and become more challenging as the year goes on. Each file includes a mix of one-step and multi-step problems.
Logged in members can use the Super Teacher Worksheets filing cabinet to save their favorite worksheets.
Quickly access your most used files AND your custom generated worksheets!
Please login to your account or become a member and join our community today to utilize this helpful feature.
Math Buzz is a daily math review series. There are 150 spiraling review worksheets in the set. Math Buzz covers a wide range of age-appropriate of skills, including time, money, place value, operations, geometry, area, perimeter, measurement, and fractions.
STW has daily word problems for other grades as well. Check them out! All done with the 3rd grade Daily Word Problems? Then move ahead to 4th!
Sample Worksheet Images
PDF with answer key:
PDF no answer key:
Math Word Problem Worksheets for 3rd Graders
Third graders will be challenged with single-step and two-step word problems. They will need to use basic multiplication for some problems along with thinking and addition or substraction skills. Taking real life situations kids will need to find solutions that make sense. The beauty of these questions is that multiple choices are not provided so kids will need to show not only the answer but how they thought through the word problem to arrive at a solution.
Resource types, all resource types, free 3rd grade word problems resources.
- Rating Count
- Price (Ascending)
- Price (Descending)
- Most Recent
Mystery Pictures Thanksgiving - Multiplication and Division Facts
Personal Finance Unit - PBL Simulation - Print and Google™ Drive
STEM PBL Civil Engineering- Traffic Jam! Pine City Measurement Math Project
Math Coloring Pages Solve, Color, Cut Bundle
3rd Grade Math Review | Mystery Picture Thanksgiving Cats
3rd Grade 160 Word Problems Math Problem Solving CCSS *All Standards*
Thanksgiving Activities Mega Pack 3rd Grade
Thanksgiving Math Worksheets 3rd Grade Common Core
12 Days of Christmas Math Word Problems - FREE! - Fun No-Prep Worksheets
- Easel Activity
Word Problems - Addition and Subtraction
Freebie: Word Problems for Addition and Subtraction Task Cards
24 Multiplication and Division Word Problems FREEBIE
Word Problems Detective Task Cards FREEBIE Math Multi-Step Stories with Audio
- Google Apps™
FREE Measurement Conversion Chart, Metric + Customary Reference Sheet
Menu Math Real World Money Pet Store Addition Subtraction Multiplication FREEBIE
FREE Math Problem Solving Assessment Pack
Multi Step Word Problems Math Task Cards FREE
FREE 2-Step Word Problems Using the Four Operations
3rd Grade Math Spiral Review & Quizzes | FREE
2nd Grade Math Word Problems Task Cards Multi-Step 2.OA.1 FREEBIE
Real Life Multiplication Project - Design a Restaurant
CUBES Math Strategy Poster
Multiplication Word Problems - Arrays - Equal Groups - Google Classroom - Print
- Internet Activities
Multiplication and Division Word Problems- grades 3-4
Two Step Math Word Problems- FREEBIE
3rd Grade 2-Step Word Problems ( MCC3.OA.8)
- Word Document File
Multiplication Strategies and Word Problems for 3rd Grade
AUGUST Daily Math Story Problem/Word Problem (Add & Subtract within 20)
Multiplication With Equal Groups and Arrays - Multiplication Word Problems
Two-Step Addition and Subtraction Word Problems
3rd Grade Math 2 Step-Word Problem Task Cards FREEBIE
Two-Digit Addition and Subtraction Word Problem Cards- No Regrouping
- We're hiring
- Help & FAQ
- Student privacy
- Terms of service