Help Desk Support Resume Guide + Tips + Example
- 30% higher chance of getting a job
- 42% higher response rate from recruiters
Our customers have been hired at: * Foot Note
A well-written help desk support resume can propel your IT career. Our guide can help you create an effective help desk support resume to showcase your skills and present you as a desirable candidate.
Start by editing this IT help desk support resume sample template or explore our 40+ resume templates to find the best one for you.
More Resume examples for the next step in your information technology career
- Technical Project Manager Resume
- Technical Support Engineer Resume
- Agile Project Manager Resume
- Assistant Project Manager Resume
- Devops Engineer Resume
- Contracts Manager Resume
- Global Project Manager Resume
- Project Management Director Resume
Help desk support resume example (text version)
San Francisco, CA 94015 (555) 555-5555 [email protected]
Enthusiastic help desk support professional seeking to benefit an IT Department with complex technical knowledge and strong time management skills. Skilled at building rapport with diverse individuals while handling complex technical issues. Vast knowledge of web applications, software and framework.
- LAN aptitude
- Windows XP/Vista
- MS Office proficient
- DHCP/DNS Ethernet and Firewall proficient
- Familiar with Mac desktops
- Excels under pressure
- Meticulous and organized
November 2020 – Current Jobot – San Francisco, CA Help Desk Associate
- Provide helpdesk support to end-users of proprietary software.
- Answer questions about product features and resolve user problems.
- Document all issues and generate monthly reports detailing common problems and error trends.
- Escalate service questions to appropriate client representatives.
- Fill in for in-house IT services as needed, installing new desktop systems for a team of 50 including developers, project managers and quality assurance team members.
September 2017 – October 2020 Aventi Group – San Francisco, CA Technical Support Representative
- Responded to client account questions, including billing and field service requests.
- Created service orders to replace defective parts or request technician assistance.
- Investigated reported issues and walked customers through scripted service protocols to rule out numerous problems, maintaining 95% of client satisfaction.
- Maintained up-to-date knowledge of all company products, service procedures and offerings to properly assist clients.
- Consistently exceeded expectations for customer satisfaction and call volume.
June 2014 – August 2017 Concentrix – San Francisco, CA Technical Support Agent
- Supported small business customers via inbound technical support calls.
- Assisted an average of 30 customers per week having hardware, software and networking issues.
- Researched client issues to resolve complaints promptly.
- Displayed exceptional people skills and maintained a calm demeanor during every phone call.
June 2014 San Francisco State University San Francisco, CA Bachelor of Science Computer Science
5 essentials of a top help desk support resume
This section will have all the information needed to contact you for a counselor interview. The standard goes: full name, city, state and ZIP code, followed by phone number and email address. Finally, add a professional website, LinkedIn profile, or any other professional networking profile.
This section is your introduction to the hiring manager or recruiter. Also called a professional summary , this is where you present your best skills and your related work experience for the help desk support position. In no more than five sentences, you will let the recruiter know: how long you have been in the industry, one or two professional accomplishments and your best job-relevant skills.
Highlight what you bring to the table with a stellar skills section. To create it, use the job description and match your skills to the ones the employer is looking for. In a bulleted list, create a balanced list of hard skills , like your ticketing system experience and diagnostic programs expertise, and soft skills , such as active listening and collaboration skills.
If this is your first job as help desk support, you can include transferable skills from other employment.
- Work history
Show your experience in the field by creating a clear work history that highlights your career achievements. Start by adding your employment in reverse-chronological order to showcase your experience in the field. Add the company names, locations and dates of employment. For every job, include a bulleted list of three measurable accomplishments, like the number of tickets assisted in a day, a collaborative initiative that improved requests assistance and how you successfully implemented a new process.
If this is your first job, you can include other relevant work experience , like volunteer experiences, community services, professional projects and more.
Use a bulleted list to create your education section. Include the educational institution’s name, the degree conferred and graduation year. Omit the graduation date if it was 10 years ago or more. You can include special training and certifications in this section or create a separate, optional, Certification section.
If you did not attend college, list your high school and any other post-high school course you’ve completed.
See why My Perfect Resume is a 5-star resume builder
Action words for a stand-out help desk support resume.
Use action words to strengthen your help desk support technician resume. Their directness not only saves precious resume space, but also add value to your skills and expertise. By combining these verbs with your measurable achievements, your resume could make a lasting impression.
Here’s a short list of action words for a help desk support resume:
Create a help desk support technician resume quickly and easily with the help of our Resume Builder . With editing tools and step-by-step guidance, you’ll be done in as little as 15 minutes. You can use our expert content suggestions and, once you’re satisfied with the product, download it in multiple formats. We have 800+ resume examples to help you create the perfect help desk support resume.
Top skills for a help desk support resume
Highlight what you can bring to the table with an eye-catching skills section. Create it by matching the required skills and traits to those that fit you.
Your skills might include the following:
- Desk support
- Ticketing systems
- Customer support
- Attention to detail
- Analytical skills
Certifications for a counselor resume
Continued education and training are key in the IT industry. If you are certified or are in the process of being certified, add your hard-earned education to your resume. Remember to include the expiry date or completion date, whichever applies to your particular certification.
There are several certification options for a help desk support resume, including:
- CompTIA Network+
- Google IT Support Professional Certificate
- CertifProf Help Desk Professional Certificate
- Microsoft 365: Modern Desktop Administrator Associate
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA)
- Udemy IT Help Desk Professional
Pair your resume with a matching cover letter
Help desk support resume faq, 1. how to write a help desk support technician resume position.
The first step to creating a help desk support technician resume is saving the job description. Always tailor your resume to the job description by using its keywords
Then, start with the five primary sections:
- Contact information
- Personal statement or professional summary
If you have additional information to include, create optional sections. For example:
- Certifications and licenses
- Professional memberships or associations
- Volunteer experience
Use the IT help desk support resume sample as a guide to build your resume. Create an effective resume quickly and easily with our Resume Builder. It provides step-by-step guidance and editable content suggestions.
2. How to write a cover letter for a help desk support resume?
A cover letter is a one-page document used to expand on your resume and connect with an employer on a human level. Use the cover letter to include important information that could require storytelling, like a project you’re proud of and could benefit the employer, and to take control of the narrative by addressing concerns, like a long period of unemployment.
If you’re new to the industry or seeking your first job, a cover letter can help present you as a great candidate by highlighting your transferable skills and commitment to the role.
If you’re not sure how to write a cover letter , here are a few tips.
- Use a business letter format, including salutation and closing.
- Create an eye-catching opening paragraph that includes your most valued skill.
- Explain why you would be a great hire in the body paragraphs.
- Restate why the hiring manager can’t pass up on you in the closing paragraph.
Our Cover Letter Builder can help you create a great cover letter in 15 minutes with step-by-step guidance and industry-specific expert suggestions.
3. How to make a help desk support resume with no experience?
When it comes to how to write a resume with no experience , think outside the box. You may lack formal experience, yet your skills, training and other types of experience can help you stand out as a candidate.
Take these steps into consideration when creating your help desk support resume:
- Focus on your skills — Create a thorough skills section with soft and hard skills relevant to the position and match those skills in the job description.
- Use relevant experiences for your work history — internships, volunteer work and personal projects.
- Highlight your education — include your formal education as well as any relevant courses and training.
- Always focus on the job description — Create a resume tailored to the requirements and wants of the employer.
- Include a cover letter — Don’t limit yourself to the resume. Expand on your skills and commitment by adding a thorough cover letter.
It is perfectly acceptable to use tools to build your resume, like our Resume Builder, which includes guidance and content suggestions according to the industry and your experience.
Do’s and don’ts for building a help desk support resume
- Use measurable achievements to describe your help desk support skills and experience.
- Use action words to make an impact on your help desk support resume.
- Tailor your resume to your target help desk support job.
- Use keywords from the job description throughout your help desk support resume.
- Format your help desk support resume so that it is easy to read by ATS software and human eyes.
- Lie about your help desk support experience and skills.
- Boast about your “incomparable” help desk support abilities.
- Include irrelevant personal information such as your ethnicity and age.
- Add skills and experience that do not pertain to a help desk support role.
- Forget to proofread. A help desk support resume with errors is unprofessional and will be discarded.
Top 4 tips for acing a help desk support interview
Research the company before your interview..
Learning more about the company will help you prepare for the interview and give you more confidence. Do your research through available channels like their company website, social media and news. If you know previous or current employees, reach out to them. This knowledge will show your potential employer interest, dedication and commitment — traits that hiring managers look for in every candidate.
Practice at home.
Prepare for possible interview scenarios by practicing an interview with the help of a friend or relative. Start by reviewing the most common interview questions, such as:
- Tell Me About a Time When You Were Forced to Think on Your Feet
- Why Should We Hire You Over Other Candidates?
- Why Did You Decide to Seek a Position in This Company?
- We Can Sometimes Identify a Small Problem and Fix It Before It Becomes a Major Problem. Give an Example(s) of How You Have Done This.
Research online for other possible interview questions , write down your answers and practice with your interview partner. Once you’re done, ask for feedback and brainstorm ways to improve your answers. Preparation will boost your confidence and chances of getting a callback for a second help desk support interview.
Pro tip: practice in front of a mirror. Remember to look at both your facial expressions and body language, which hiring managers will notice.
Prepare three to five questions to show your enthusiasm for the role, while learning more about the potential employer. Ask open-ended questions which will allow the interviewer to elaborate on their answer. Remember, you’re interviewing them as much as they’re interviewing you.
Get started with these examples or be inspired to create your own:
- Why did you choose to work for this company?
- What could you tell me about the company culture?
- What is the career path for this position?
- What training do you provide your support staff?
Gather your references.
Contact former managers and colleagues to be potential references as you start applying for counselor positions. Your potential references should be able to vouch for your work ethic and skills. Explain to them where you are in the process and let them know they could receive a phone call or email. Also, request at least two letters of recommendation for you.
If you’re applying for your first help desk support, you can request a reference from former professors, mentors or volunteer coordinators that can vouch for your skills.
Cover letter examples for the next step in your information technology career
- IT Manager Cover Letter
CV examples for the next step in your information technology career
- Agile Project Manager CV
- Assistant Project Manager CV
- IT Manager CV
- Systems Analyst CV
- Support Technician CV
- Project Leader CV
- Project Manager CV
- Project Officer CV
- Project Support Officer CV
- Technical Consultant CV
Rate this article
Help Desk Support Resume Example
4.5/5 stars with 101 reviews
Nilda Melissa Diaz, CPRW
Career advice expert.
Nilda is a Certified Professional Resume Writer who has written for The Washington Post and Latina Style Magazine. She has a master's in Journalism from Columbia University and is a member of the National Association of Hispanic Journalists.
*The names and logos of the companies referred to above are all trademarks of their respective holders. Unless specifically stated otherwise, such references are not intended to imply any affiliation or association with MyPerfectResume.
Help Desk Support Representative Resume Examples
- Help Desk Team Leader
- Help Desk Technician
- Helper Electrician
- Hemodialysis Nurse
Want to use this resume?
Customize this Resume
City, State, Zip Code
Home: 000-000-0000 | Cell: 000-000-0000
Experienced IT help desk support representative with strong background in the installation and maintenance of software and hardware. Trained to deliver an exceptional level of customer service in IT support. Ready to take four-plus years in the field to repair, modify, install, and advise in the management of software and hardware.
- Outstanding background in the field of troubleshooting simple and intricate tech applications
- Expert in remote and on-site consultation within an IT environment
- Familiar with procedures for IT assistance in LANs, routers, peer-to-peer file sharing, connectivity of remote desktop servers, TCP/IP networking, and more
- Prepared to work on weekend, rotational, and night shifts
- Manage administrative server functions, including back-ups, upgrades, recovery, management of disk space, and more
- Create and manage P2P application patches
- Monitor business applications via remote desktop
- Work with end users, resolving their software and hardware issues in efficient manners
- Pool resources with technical personnel to accomplish system implementations
- Managed administrative server functions, including back-ups, upgrades, recovery, management of disk space, and more
- Located root causes of technical errors and implemented prompt solutions
- Member of the research and development team that evaluated and implemented applications
- Designed and conducted online training for customers and company employees
There are plenty of opportunities to land an IT Help Desk Support job position, but it won’t just be handed to you. Crafting an IT Help Desk Support resume that catches the attention of hiring managers is paramount to getting the job, and LiveCareer is here to help you stand out from the competition.
- Desktop support
- Customer service expert
- Technical issues analysis
- Technical documents comprehension
- Software diagnosis
- Mac systems
- Data recovery
- Staff education and training
- Application support
Create My Resume
IT Help Desk Support @ DOITT-NYC
A highly driven, detail-oriented responsible, disciplined, and hard-working individual seeking a Cybersecurity position. Experienced in a wide range of technologies with the ability to learn quickly a...
Experience: 8 yrs 9 mo
It Help Desk Support @ Luxury Vintage Concept Inc
Practiced troubleshooter with excellent diagnostics and repair abilities, strong attention to detail and methodical approach. Expert [Software] and [Software] user. Boosts system performance by thorou...
Experience: 20 yrs 4 mo
IT Help Desk Support @ Cu*Answers, Inc.
To seek and maintain a full-time position that offers professional challenges utilizing interpersonal skills, excellent time management and problem-solving skills. Ambitious, career-focused job seeker...
Experience: 5 yrs 3 mo
Help Desk Support Technician @ Insight Global
IT technician with over 5 years experience who enjoys troubleshooting to find solutions to technical problems. Strong proficiencies in DNS, Active Directory, user management and security....
Experience: 12 yrs 4 mo
Senior Underwriter and Sales Support Specialist (Help Desk) @ Liberty Mutual Insurance
Detail-oriented Personal Lines Underwriter dedicated to reducing company risk while delivering exceptional and knowledgeable service to both internal and external customers. Skilled in analyzing,...
Experience: 9 yrs 8 mo
What to read next
*As seen in :
You control your data
Choose type of cookies to accept
These cookies give you access to a customized experience of our products. Personalization cookies are also used to deliver content, including ads, relevant to your interests on our Site and third-party sites based on how you interact with our advertisements or content as well as track the content you access (including video viewing). We may also collect password information from you when you log in, as well as computer and/or connection information. During some visits, we may use software tools to measure and collect session information, including page response times, download errors, time spent on certain pages and page interaction information.
These cookies are placed by third-party companies to deliver targeted content based on relevant topics that are of interest to you. And allow you to better interact with social media platforms such as Facebook.
These cookies are essential for the Site's performance and for you to be able to use its features. For example, essential cookies include: cookies dropped to provide the service, maintain your account, provide builder access, payment pages, create IDs for your documents and store your consents.
To see a detailed list of cookies, click here .
- Resume Examples
IT Help Desk Resume: Examples and Guide [10+ Tips]
You keep the company running through a thousand tiny problems because you understand how tech works. Prove it to employers with a highly functional IT help desk resume.
As seen in:
As an IT help desk pro, you're the human firewall for tech issues. But first, you must infect the recruiter with admiration for your resume. And turning your resume off and on doesn’t help it stand out.
We’ll help you write an IT help desk resume that’s as smooth as a freshly formatted PC running Linux.
Want to save time and have your resume ready in 5 minutes? Try our resume builder. It’s fast and easy to use. Plus, you’ll get ready-made content to add with one click. See 20+ resume templates and create your resume here .
Sample resume made with our builder— See more resume samples here .
Want more IT resume examples? You’re in the right place:
- Computer Technician Resume Examples & Guide
- Desktop Support Resume Examples & Guide
- Entry Level IT Resume Examples & Guide
- Help Desk Resume Examples & Guide
- IT (Information Technology) Resume Examples & Guide
- IT Director Resume Examples & Guide
- IT Manager Resume Examples & Guide
- IT Project Manager Resume Examples & Guide
- IT Specialist Resume Examples & Guide
- IT Support Resume Examples & Guide
- IT Technician Resume Examples & Guide
- Agile Project Manager Resume Examples & Guide
- Data Center Technician Resume Examples & Guide
- System Administrator Resume Examples & Guide
- System Analyst Resume Examples & Guide
- Technical Support Resume Examples & Guide
- Scrum Master Resume Examples & Guide
- Job Resume Examples for All Professions
Sample IT Help Desk Resume Template
Accomplished IT help desk specialist with 4+ years of experience keeping systems running and resolving trouble tickets in a Windows 10 environment. Seeking to improve service massively at GalvaTech Inc. At Phair-Litman Systems, installed 120+ new PC workstations and laptops with Windows 10 with zero downtime.
IT Help Desk Specialist
Phair-Litman Systems, Fairhaven, TN
June 2017 – June 2020
- Installed 120+ new PC workstations and laptops with Windows 10 and MS Office 365. Achieved zero downtime through cloud data redundancy during changeover.
- Resolved 20+ trouble tickets per day through efficient triaging of problems.
- Maintained 99% satisfaction rating in monthly end-user scoring through applied interpersonal skills and providing fast solutions.
- Performed 100+ successful hardware and software repairs per week.
- Slashed update times for systems & software by 30% through automation.
- Reduced downtime for 300+ machines by 22% by scheduling and performing regular maintenance of hardware and software.
Help Desk Technician
Zaffnathy Sports, Inc.
June 2015–March 2017
- Diagnosed and resolved 20+ computer and printer problems per week in a busy corporate office.
- Implemented new network security system using VPNs and Cisco PIX firewall to connect both brick-and-mortar and remote employees.
University of Maine
BS in Computer Science
Graduated: June 2015
- Vice president, student computer club
- Recipient, Susan G. Johnson Award for academic excellence
- Board member, Tucker County Animal Shelter. Set up donated shelter computer system and security cameras
- Lead a weekly CrossFit group. Increased membership by 50%
- Hard Skills: Salesforce, Cisco switches & routers, Windows 10, Office 365, phone system support, desktop and laptop support, troubleshooting
- Soft Skills: interpersonal skills, friendliness, teamwork
- ITIL — Axelos
Here’s how to write your own job-getting IT help desk resume:
1. Format Your IT Help Desk Resume Correctly
Here’s the bad news—the company won’t hire an IT help desk specialist with a sloppy resume. With the wrong formatting, margins, fonts, and resume layout , they’ll assume you’re Dennis Nedry. Don’t be that job applicant. Turn in a sharp-looking IT help desk resume to show you know your stuff.
The perfect resume should prove you know a switch from a router at first glance. Here’s how to nail the right resume format for a job :
- Use the chronological resume layout . It’s the best of the three resume types in most cases.
- Start with a clean resume template so you won’t spend hours messing around with formatting.
- Set your resume font size between 10 and 12 points, and choose a respected font like Calibri or Arial.
- You can adjust your resume margins a little to make everything fit, but don’t stray too far from one inch all around.
- The length of a resume should be a single page for IT help desk jobs. Make sure your resume fills the page, but don’t stretch it to two pages.
- The name of a resume file should be “Name - Job Title - Resume.pdf”
Read more: What's the Difference Between a Resume and a Cover Letter
2. Catch Their Eye With a Resume Profile Statement
You need a resume introduction .as the TL;DR version of your resume. It goes at the top, and it should grab them like a secure connection request.
If you’re new to help desk work, write a career objective statement . Back before Wi-Fi, those were a way to explain your career goals. That’s job search suicide today. Employers want to hear about your goal to help them make their IT situation better.
If you’ve got more experience than Larry Ellison, write a career summary statement . It’s the elevator pitch for your resume. Pick the best parts of your resume and shine a floodlight on them. Your summary should make the hiring team say, “Okay, I need to read this carefully.”
Read more: Ways to Make a Resume Stand Out
3. Target Your IT Help Desk Resume Job Description
Oh-oh. You’ve been making a big mistake. Your past resumes have talked about your duties and responsibilities. You know: “I provided technical support, resolved trouble tickets, and installed hardware and software.” What’s wrong with that? Everything. We have no idea if you shined or fizzled.
You can’t just say you were an IT help desk specialist. You have to show you were the Sheldon Cooper of the company.
Here’s how to add relevant experience in a resume so it blows their suits off:
- Right after your resume summary, list your newest job.
- Add its job title , the company you worked for, its location, and the dates you started and stopped working there.
- Create a tailored resume by adding up to six bullet points that show your most praiseworthy key achievements . Add numbers to make them shine.
- Don’t start your sentences with “handled” or “responsible for.” Instead, use power words for resumes like increased, solved, resolved, or installed.
Read more: Should You Include Irrelevant Experience on a Resume
4. Write an Engaging IT Help Desk Resume Education Section
Do you need to show education in a resume for IT help desk jobs? Absolutely. You don’t need a computer science degree to get the job. But—you have to show your schooling. The trick? Don’t just list your degree . Add a couple of accomplishments that show you weren’t just playing beer pong.
- You can add lists of relevant coursework or school projects in an IT help desk resume.
- Did you win any academic awards? Belong to any school clubs or groups? You can add those to show extra skills.
- Don’t overdo the educational accomplishments. If you’ve been in the workforce for a while, one or two is plenty. You’re just trying to show you did something in school.
- What about GPA on a resume for IT help desk jobs? If you got a 3.8 or higher, go ahead and list it. Otherwise, delete it.
Pro Tip: According to US Government data , computer support jobs will grow at 10% in the next 10 years. That’s faster than the average job. But your resume needs to sizzle if you want a good one.
5. Prove Your IT Help Desk Skills
So many job applicants get the resume skills section wrong. They treat it as a laundry list. The more the merrier, right? Nope. The key is to list only a sampling of your skills. But—make them the perfect IT help desk skills the company is jonesing for. This is really powerful if you get it right.
Here's how to prove your IT help desk skills are Cisco-ready:
- Look closely at the job ad online. It’s got the best computer skills for the job in it, as plain as day. Write them down in your skills list.
- Next, make sure you prove those help desk skills with the achievements in your bullet points. Just saying you have a skill is unconvincing.
IT Help Desk Resume Skills
- Network Architecture
- Trouble Ticket Systems
- Phone Support
- Network Security
- Programming Languages
- Time Management Skills
- Critical Thinking Skills
- Verbal and Written Communication Skills
- Decision Making Skills
- Teamwork Skills
- Organizational Skills
- Interpersonal Skills
- Problem Solving Skills
Read more: How to List Programming Languages on a Resume
When making a resume in our builder, drag & drop bullet points, skills, and auto-fill the boring stuff. Spell check? Check . Start building a professional resume template here for free .
When you’re done, our professional resume builder will score your resume and our resume checker will tell you exactly how to make it better.
6. Add “Other” Sections to Your IT Help Desk Resume
Show you’ve done more with your skills than just go to school and get a job.
- List licenses and certifications like a CompTIA A+ certification or ITIL if you have one.
- Have you gone to conferences? Written for publications on tech subjects? Those can help you get the job.
- You can list volunteer experience in a resume to show you’ve got extra bandwidth.
- Also consider adding foreign language skills to your resume or clubs or groups you’re in.
Read more: What Does the Best Resume Look Like?
7. Write a Cover Letter for Your IT Help Desk Resume
Do you need a cover letter in an IT help desk resume? Yes. Too many applicants these days are spamming employers. To show you’ve actually thought about this job, a letter is imperative. What is a cover letter for ? To prove you really want this job out of all the others and you’ll work hard if they hire you.
Include the right cover letter parts :
- Start with a modern cover letter template to save tons of time fighting with the formatting and layout.
- In the first paragraph, write a cover letter introduction that makes them want to read the rest.
- In the second paragraph, call out the most attractive parts of your resume for IT help desk jobs.
- Write a cover letter ending that asks for the interview. Also in your final paragraph, say something you’d love about working at the company.
How long is a cover letter ? Three punchy paragraphs and less than a full page. Nobody will read the War and Peace of cover letters.
Read more: What Should a Cover Letter Say
Plus, a great cover letter that matches your resume will give you an advantage over other candidates. You can write it in our cover letter builder here. Here's what it may look like:
See more cover letter templates and start writing.
That’s everything you need to write a great IT help desk resume!
Thanks for reading! Do you have another question on how to make a Juniper-worthy IT help desk resume? Give us a shout in the comments section!
About Zety’s Editorial Process
This article has been reviewed by our editorial team to make sure it follows Zety's editorial guidelines . We’re committed to sharing our expertise and giving you trustworthy career advice tailored to your needs. High-quality content is what brings over 40 million readers to our site every year. But we don't stop there. Our team conducts original research to understand the job market better, and we pride ourselves on being quoted by top universities and prime media outlets from around the world.
Don't miss out on exclusive stories that will supercharge your career!
Get a weekly dose of inspiration delivered to your inbox
10+ Best LaTeX Resume Templates for 2023
You're an academic, software engineer or really cool nerd. Choosing a LaTex CV template seems like an obvious choice, doesn’t it? Here’s a list of great LaTeX resume templates!
Plain Text Resume: How to Create ASCII Resume [+Example]
Bland and boring might be all right for oatmeal, but not for your text resume. Find out how to write a plain text resume that is anything but plain.
How to Put Shadowing on a Resume [+Examples]
Short of being hired, shadowing is the next best thing. Learn how you put shadowing on your resume correctly so that recruiters start following you.
- • Resolved technical issues for over 100 employees, increasing overall productivity by 20%
- • Implemented new IT systems, increasing system efficiency by 15%
- • Led a team of 5 junior IT specialists, improving team efficiency by 10%
- • Resolved technical issues for over 50 employees, ensuring minimal downtime
- • Assisted in the implementation of new IT systems, reducing system errors by 25%
- • Collaborated with the IT team to meet quarterly targets, achieving 100% of goals
- • Supported senior IT specialists in resolving technical issues, contributing to a 10% increase in efficiency
- • Assisted in managing IT systems for 20 employees, maintaining 100% system uptime
- • Assisted in the preparation of quarterly IT reports, achieving 95% accuracy
5 Help Desk Resume Examples & Guide for 2023
Customize this resume with ease using our seamless online resume builder.
Average resume stats for your industry
Top Skills for Help Desk resume
- IBM Lotus Notes
- Raiser's Edge
- Analytical thinking
- Creativity and innovation
Try more resume templates
In this guide, you’ll learn, looking for related resumes, how to create a help desk resume that gets you hired, the right way to write a header for a help desk resume, how to make an outstanding experience section for your help desk resume, 18 essential skills to highlight in your help desk resume, desktop support, help desk manager, service desk manager, technical support manager.
The customer is king.
But as a help desk…
You’re the king of customer service.
Anyone can pick up the phone or respond to an email, but very few can do so efficiently.
Your work extends way beyond solving simple technical problems.
Without you, companies can’t keep up good relationships with their clients. Many businesses would struggle to improve their brand image and keep their loyal customers around.
You help employees from inner departments solve tech issues in a timely fashion. That’s how you allow everyone to be more productive and stay focused on crucial tasks.
The days of simple FAQ pages and Q&A sections on forums are over.
Companies have understood the full extent of your importance. That explains why headhunters today work hard to recruit the best help desk professionals.
But to land the job you want:
You need an outstanding help desk resume that promotes your worth. And that’s what we’re going to teach you today.
We created this guide to help you make a brilliant resume that stands out and gets results.
We’ll show you how to feature the right skills, experience, and other essential sections to make you shine.
Let’s get started.
- Why reading the job description is crucial to picking and featuring the right experience and skills on your resume
- How to structure and format your resume to inspire recruiters and keep them reading
- Best way to showcase your relevant experience and convince headhunters of your worth
- Top technical and soft skills to help you master your job duties and excel at customer service
- Most important additional sections to include if you want to outshine your competition
- Computer Science Resume
- Network Engineer Resume
- Tech Resume
- IT Project Manager Resume
A help desk resume is your chance to leave a strong first impression on recruiters and make them want you.
It's not just a bunch of details or meaningless words sitting on a page. In reality, it's the portal through which you'll land the job you want at the company of your dreams.
Every detail matters, from the way you structure your resume to the way you write your sentences.
Therefore, you must remain strategic in your approach.
First of all:
You need to pick a proper layout for your resume .
There are lots of options to choose from, but not all of them will fit your background.
Here are your two options:
If you have a rich work history and lots of details to share, a reverse-chronological layout is best. Combine that with a double-column temlplate and you can fit everything within a single page without sacrificing any details.
A single column resume template works great for you if you're just getting started as a help desk. You don't want to leave lots of white space in your resume, so you can structure the information to fill the whole page. You might prefer the funcional resume layout in such case, as it allows you to focus on skills, rather than experience.
You need to be different from everyone else.
Think about it for a second…
The company needs assistance from a professional help desk. They've been looking for an ideal candidate for a while — yet they still haven't hired anyone.
Why do you think is that?
- The majority of applicants don't have the right set of experience and skills to compete for the job
- No one has addressed the hiring company's needs precisely, and most candidates are ego-centric only looking for their own interest
That's where you'll beg to differ and prove yourself deserving of the position.
You'll highlight your unique expertise, most excellent qualities, and career achievements to stand out from the pack. But more importantly, you'll tailor your resume to answer to the company's needs precisely.
This way, you're outperforming everyone in the race and give recruiters a million reasons to hire you.
Best sections for a help desk resume
What recruiters want to see in a help desk resume
- The right customer service experience to help you assist clients effectively
- A solid background in IT and computer science to prove your fitness for the job
- Quantifiable achievements and work results demonstrated through reliable metrics and precise numbers
- Eagerness to learn various technical skills quickly and apply the knowledge in practice
- A set of soft skills including solution-oriented mindset, patience, and interpersonal abilities to allow for flawless communication
The header is a small section sitting at the top of your resume to help you identify yourself.
It only includes personal details - so it shouldn't affect your chances of getting hired.
You want recruiters to remember who you are in a pile of hundreds of resumes. So, this is your chance to hammer your name into their heads.
You must follow the right structure in making your header. You have to feature your key personal details. And you also need to leave away any unnecessary information.
So, where do you begin?
For starters, you only need to include the following information:
- Email address
Next, you'll work on placing them correctly on the page.
Make your name memorable by using a bigger font and separating it from the rest of the details.
The job title comes underneath your full name but in a smaller font.
Featuring your full address is optional, especially if you live far away from the hiring company's location.
So, adding just the city and state in your address is okay.
LinkedIn is where most headhunters go to publish job postings and find qualified candidates. And the platform presents an opportunity for applicants to showcase their worth beyond a one-page resume.
Featuring a link to your LinkedIn profile is your way of helping recruiters notice you. It allows them to learn more about you before the interview, which is something they're grateful for.
Let's look at a couple of examples:
Recruiters must be sure that you're their best candidate they can hire before choosing you.
They want to see that you have solid experience with customer experience. And they need to be sure of your IT skills and problem-solving abilities.
But how do you prove any of that?
Well… it's quite simple!
Show that you've done it all before.
Craft an experience section that presents your job experience professionally. Then, fill it with details about your career successes and accomplishments.
Here are three golden rules to follow when writing your experience section:
1- List your experience in chronological order.
A perfect experience section must be chronological. That means you should start from the most recent position and continue further down.
You don't need to include every single position you've ever had. So, be careful when choosing what you put in this section.
2- Be specific.
It's more important to show than just tell when talking about your work history.
Headhunters are tired of reading repetitive job tasks over and over again. Every applicant they come across sounds the same with all the generic duties they find on Google.
The key here is to give recruiters what they want to see specifically. And to find that, you must look through the job description .
Make each bullet point you list here counts by mentioning the impact you had in your previous positions.
But more importantly:
Everything you mention here has to be relevant to the job you're applying for.
3- Quantify your achievements.
This rule gives hiring managers a rational anchor point for comparison. If your numbers are better than everyone else's, you'll separate yourself from the pack.
You won't be stuck at the bottom with the unqualified candidates who also claim to be good at customer support.
Each bullet point must come with a concrete example or a quantifiable achievement to inspire headhunters.
Use precise numbers of the results you achieved in the past to quantify your career wins.
Check out this example:
- • Responsible for customer service and inquiries
- • Helped customers with technical issues related to the company’s products and services
- • Stayed up-to-date with the latest company technologies and software updates
Nobody likes buzzwords , especially not hiring managers.
They've read hundreds of resumes where job responsibilities are listed with no concrete numbers to prove them.
There's nothing to back up those claims and achievements. As a result, such resumes get largely ignored or even count against the applicant.
The solution is to focus on concrete numbers to demonstrate your impact as a help desk professional.
You need to keep an active language when showcasing your work as a help desk. Stick to action verbs and industry-specific verbs to highlight relevance and competence.
Now, here's what a great help desk experience section looks like:
- • Answered, evaluated, and prioritized 3200 customer inquiries and support requests while maintaining 98% ratings of positive feedback
- • Assisted in the hiring and scaling of the team from 10 teammates to 35 by screening potential candidates
- • Recorded, tracked, and updated support interactions using the company’s ticketing system to help with software development
Featuring the right skills in your resume is key to getting you hired.
Recruiters often find themselves stuck choosing between candidates with the same level of experience. So they rely on the skills section to decide on the best applicant for the job.
But here’s the thing:
It isn’t always clear to you as a job-seeker which talents are essential to showcase in your resume.
Companies differ in the way they operate and deal with their customers. The technologies and tools they use also vary significantly from one industry to another.
As a rule of thumb, you must focus this section on two types of skills:
- Soft skills
- Technical skills
Soft skills include customer service, the ability to stay on top of client requests, troubleshooting, problem-solving, etc…
Patience and solution-oriented thinking are also crucial to helping you excel at your job.
Moreover, you must demonstrate a willingness to learn and adapt to new tools whenever needed. That shows hiring managers your eagerness to succeed at the job and go the extra mile.
On the other hand:
Technical skills vary widely based on the technology used by the company. There are no universally sought-after technical skills in the job market today.
You can recognize what the company needs from you in the job offer. And many tools and technologies are so popular that most businesses in the market today are using them.
So, by this point…
Your primary focus should be to find the most relevant abilities required for the job. Once you identify them, you’ll only need to narrow your list down and present it in this section.
To do that, you should:
- List all the soft and hard skills you possess in one list.
- Define the most sought-after soft/technical talents by reading the job description and keep them in a separate list
- See which skills correlate the most (those are the ones your help desk resume needs to feature)
Here’s our hand-picked list of the most critical help desk resume skills:
Most sought-after technical skills for help desk resume
- Active directory
- Desktop support
- Technical support
- Service desk
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Google Suite
- Email support
Best soft skills to showcase in your help desk resume
- Customer service
- Time management
- Attention to detail
- Read the job description thoroughly to identify the hiring company’s needs and address them in your resume
- Create an eye-grabbing header to keep headhunters reading
- Feature your relevant work experience and solidify your claims through precise metrics and quantifiable achievements
- Showcase your technical/soft skills in your experience and skills section to make your resume more appealing
- Feature your educational background and certificates to stand out from the crowd and outshine your competitors
Help Desk resume examples
Explore additional help desk resume samples and guides and see what works for your level of experience or role.
Desktop support roles are similar to a foundational pillar in IT infrastructure. Therefore, desktop support trends can impact the way whole organizations function.
Emphasize your ability to troubleshoot swiftly and accurately. Display your familiarity with common operating systems and applications. Demonstrate your soft skills relevant to desktop support such as communication, team work and patience. Prove that you understand user issues and solve accordingly. Frame your resume in such a way that it showcases your skills in hardware and software, as well as how those skills led to efficient troubleshooting.
Don't just list qualifications; show how you used them to improve the system. Following 'skill-action-results' could look like 'improved ticket resolution time by...' or 'reduced system crashes by...' and so on.
View Desktop Support Resume
Help Desk Managers play a critical role in customer service. Their actions can have great influence on customer satisfaction and brand loyalty.
Experience in software such as ticket tracking systems and database software is a must. Showcase your customer service skills and ability to manage teams. Demonstrate how you have implemented support strategies that reduced resolution time and improved satisfaction.
Avoid simply listing skills. Instead, show how your management style and technical abilities resulted in improved key performance indicators (KPIs). For example, 'Reduced average call handling time by implementing...', 'Increased customer satisfaction by...' et cetera.
View Help Desk Manager Resume
A Service Desk Manager role is as a bridge between users and IT operations. This influential role can shape IT processes within a company.
Your resume should demonstrate your expertise in IT service management principles like ITIL or COBIT. Highlight how you have developed and implemented operational procedures that improved efficiency.
Don’t just list your skills. Instead, show how they have led to more efficient operations. Following 'skill-action-results' could look like 'lowered downtimes by implementing...', 'improved service delivery through...' and so on.
View Service Desk Manager Resume
Technical Support Manager roles form a cornerstone of customer and client support systems. Trends within this sphere have far-reaching implications for any tech company.
Among others, highlight your ability to manage and train a team of tech support representatives. Tout your familiarity with a range of software and hardware specific to your industry. Demonstrate a history of increasing customer satisfaction rating by streamlining the tech support process.
Show, not just tell, your skills. e.g. 'lowered tech support turnaround times...', 'improved customer satisfaction ratings by...' and more.
View Technical Support Manager Resume
Looking to build your own Help Desk resume?
- Resume Examples
What Is The Purpose Of A Cover Letter In An Application
VP of Marketing Interview Questions & Answers
15 Tips to Create an Eye-Catching Resume That Gets You The Job (Including Templates)
Which Resume Font to Use for Making an Outstanding Resume
Why I put "Immigrant" on my resume
Real resume examples that stand out and get people hired
- Create Resume
- Terms of Service
- HTML Sitemap
- Resume Templates
- Resume Formats
- Resume Checker
- Resume Skills
- How to Write a Resume
- Modern Resume Templates
- Simple Resume Templates
- Cover Letter Builder
- Cover Letter Examples
- Cover Letter Templates
- Cover Letter Formats
- How to Write a Cover Letter
- Resume Guides
- Cover Letter Guides
- Job Interview Guides
- Job Interview Questions
- Career Resources
- Meet our customers
- Career resources
- English (UK)
- French (FR)
- Swedish (SE)
© 2023 . All rights reserved.
Made with love by people who care.
- Customer service
- Help desk resume examples
Help desk Resume examples
10 Help desk resume examples found
All examples are written by certified resume experts, and free for personal use. Copy any of the Help desk resume examples to your own resume, or use one of our free downloadable Word templates. We recommend using these Help desk resume examples as inspiration only, while creating your own resume.
Learn more about: how to write a perfect resume
IT help desk technician
Provided superior customer support & service to Comcast’s WiFi customers by answering a full range of customer requests, inquiries, and complaints relating to WiFi services and general inquiries. Answered incoming calls and provide helpdesk support to resolve issues on the server-side and client-side using Retain Helpdesk tool.
- Resolved customer technical issues to ensure all issues are closed in time with the right resolution and highest customer satisfaction.
- Diffused escalated customer situations while setting accurate expectations for issue resolution.
- Documented problems including detection information, diagnostic results, and repair information by utilizing the trouble ticketing system.
- Managed the overall customer call queue to ensure timely response to incoming customer calls.
- Opened tickets and maintained documentation to track tickets through resolution.
- Provided coaching, training new employees on call center operations, troubleshooting techniques, and collaborated on calls with new hires.
Help desk technician
Log all received issues into proprietary help desk ticketing system, classifying and prioritizing incidents with excellent written communication for other technicians to respond to. Use sound judgement to identify trends, anticipate customer needs, and determine when to escalate incidents.
- Developed 14 knowledge articles to reduce customer frustration and decrease resolution time.
- Provide technical and functional support, resolving 90% of tickets during first contact.
- Receive and respond to calls, emails, live chats, and web inquiries from system users.
- Collaborate with Tier 2 support to enhance knowledge and improve service level agreements (SLA).
Help desk support
Ensure customer service is timely and accurate on a daily basis by recruiting, training, and supporting a highly efficient and effective team of help desk representatives and technicians. Maintain customer service standards by contributing to improving customer support by actively responding to queries and handling complaints.
- Improved production and efficiency by delegating staff to specific roles.
- Manage the help desk team and evaluate performance to create innovative recommendations.
- Establish best practices through the entire support process by developing and reviewing daily, weekly, and monthly reports on help desk team's productivity.
- Follow up with customers to identify areas of improvement and develop an effective and workable framework for managing and improving customer support accordingly.
- Develop and oversee the team's knowledge base and ensure top quality solutions are available to the staff.
- Advise management on situations that may require additional client support or escalation.
Provided remote technical support and assistance to clients/customers across the country. Responded to queries by email, phone, and chat, offering assistance on configuration, delivery, maintenance, and troubleshooting various computer systems, software, hardware, and other technical components.
- Utilized standard help desk procedures and processes to document and resolve technical issues for end-user requests.
- Assisted with user access, creation, editing, and troubleshooting in Google Workspace and Active Directory.
- Provided expertise to maintain and support various IT systems while adhering to company and department strategies and standards.
- Troubleshot hardware and software problems and made recommendations for upgrades and configurations implementation.
- Tasked with designing and maintaining Document Libraries, SharePoint sites, workflows, and Google applications in support of business practices.
Technical support position requiring a blend of customer service and technical skills in the daily execution of duties.
- Maintained up-to-date knowledge of all company products and services to better assist customers in resolving their technical issues.
- Continuously read technical manuals on company’s latest hardware products to understand technical components and deliver comprehensive installation and repair support as needed.
- Responded to all customer enquiries and escalated specific problems to the designated specialist.
- Documented technical resolution processes and workflows for future references.
Interactive technical support position requiring sharp problem solving and communication skills.
- Liaised with colleagues to provide comprehensive support to user on both hardware and software issues.
- Provided prompt responses and solutions to incoming inquiries and reported issues.
- Routinely delivered detailed reports to supervisors on the status of all technical issues and assigned projects.
- Provided ample support in during installations and testing of company systems to ensure quality performance.
Provided expertise on numerous IT systems, delivering a high level of customer service and exceptional technical support for end-user software/hardware. Performed analysis, diagnosis, and resolution to a variety of issues, documenting and maintaining an inventory of all computing equipment and purchases.
- Resolved complex issues requiring detailed applications and systems expertise that have been escalated from Tiers 1 to 3.
- Installed microcomputer hardware and software, customized software patches according to specific requirements, and corrected technical issues.
- Worked onsite and remotely to ensure service tickets, diagnostic programs, and isolation problems are adequately addressed and fixed promptly.
- Reviewed and addressed recurring or escalated issues by bringing technical cost-effective solutions to company executives.
- Configured, deployed, troubleshooted, and resolved issues to software and hardware, peripheral devices, and networks.
Identify problems and implement solutions with accurate communication to ensure courteous, timely, and effective resolution of customer issues. Ensure compliance with security procedures for data handling.
- Improved first-contact resolution 20% by creating customer handling guide.
- Act as the Tier 1 point of contact for internal and external customers on a busy service desk. Provide thorough triaging of tickets by liaising with other service teams.
- Identify, recommend, develop, and implement internal training programs to increase system literacy and self-sufficiency.
- Participate in planning sessions for process improvement and make recommendations based on experience and past customer interactions.
Complex role requiring supervision of a 5 man team to ensure the quality of remote customer support.
- Delivered premium remote assistance to users to resolve technical issues on software and hardware
- Managed on-boarding processes and new recruits training on in-house techniques and third-party applications to ensure adherence to service standards.
- Managed workflows and delegated tasks to help desk support associates under personal supervision to ensure attainment of defined goals.
- Worked with HR to develop standard operation policies and procedures for routine systems management tasks and effective user training manuals.
Complex role requiring comprehensive knowledge of technical components to deliver effective and prompt solutions to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Performed diagnostic assessments hardware and system performance to identify issues and ensure effective resolution.
- Routinely evaluated department operational policies and procedures to find bottlenecks and suggest improvements to upper management.
- Trained new recruits on standard technical support process to ensure the accurate documentation and delivery of technical support services to customers.
- Kept abreast of all projects within assigned team and provide routine progress reports to department head to streamline workflows and define performance goals.
- Easy step-by-step builder
- Professional templates
- Try for free!
Professional resume templates
Make a resume that wins you interviews! Choose one of these professionally-designed resume templates and follow 3 easy steps to complete.
Create a perfect resume in a few minutes
- Field-tested resume templates created by experts
- Powered by Resume.io
- Try now for free!
Free resume templates
- Free for personal use
- Direct download as a Microsoft Word document
- Created by a CPRW certified resume expert
- Optimized for applicant tracking system (ATS) screening
Choosing a correct resume format and template
Download our American style resume template. Chronological resume format. Download a functional resume template .
Learn more about the differences between a resume and a CV .
Download our British/European style cv template. Similar to a resume but more commonly used in Europe, Asia and Africa.
Download cv-template.docx 29.34 KB
Sample resume for a midlevel IT help desk professional
Does your help desk resume need help showcase technical, diagnostic and customer service skills to generate interest. get inspired with this sample..
Does your IT help desk resume need some help? Showcase your technical, diagnostic and customer service skills to generate interest from employers, says resume expert Kim Isaacs. Get inspired with this sample resume for a midlevel help desk professional that Isaacs created below, and download the midlevel IT help desk professional resume template in Word.
Jobs for IT help desk specialists are projected to grow by 11% (or 88,500 jobs) from 2016 through 2026, which is higher than average, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). You'll find the highest level of employment for this job in the following states: California , Texas , New York , Florida , and Illinois ; and in the following metropolitan areas: New York City , Chicago , Dallas , Washington D.C. , and Atlanta .
As an IT help desk specialist, you can expect to earn a median wage of $52,810 per year, or $25.39 per hour, according to the BLS.
Apply to IT help desk jobs
Midlevel IT Help Desk Professional resume template
Jordan Smith Sometown, TX 75035 Home: (555) 555-1234 | [email protected] | LinkedIn URL
MULTI-CERTIFIED IT HELP DESK TECHNICIAN
Tier 1 Help Lines | Technical Support | User Training | Software/PC/LAN Troubleshooting
- MCDST, MOS and CompTIA A+ certified professional with four years of help desk experience providing software, hardware, client/server and networking technical support.
- Proven success working in high-volume, 24x7 technical call centers. Demonstrated strengths in rapidly diagnosing, troubleshooting and resolving client issues.
- Consistently praised for communicating effectively with both technical and nontechnical users. Known for excellent problem-solving skills and patience in dealing with frustrated users.
- Technical Troubleshooting
- Hardware Configurations
- Offshore Team Collaboration
- Software Installs
- LAN Connectivity
- Problem Diagnosis
- Phone & Online Support
- Client/Server Models
- Preventive Maintenance
- User Training/Support
- Customer Service
- Complaint Handling
Process Flows & Call-Tracking Tools: ITIL incident management service processes; HEAT; Remedy; Zendesk; Freshdesk; Samanage; Desk.com Software: MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access); VMware applications; Salesforce; anti-virus programs Browsers: Chrome; Safari; Firefox; MS Edge; IE; SeaMonkey Navigator; Opera Hardware: PCs, Laptops, Telephony Systems, Printers, Routers, Modems Networking: LAN & VPN/Remote Connectivity, TCP/IP Platforms: Windows, Unix, NetWare Servers, Citrix
ABC COMPANY — Sometown, TX Tier 1 Help Desk, 2015 to Present
- Routinely exceed call-handling goals, closing an average of 60 calls daily (25% above quota) with a 75% first-call resolution ratio and an average talk-time of 5.5 minutes -- well below 7-minute goal.
- Diagnose, troubleshoot and resolve a range of software, hardware and connectivity issues. Excel in asking probing questions and researching, analyzing and rectifying problems.
XYZ COMPANY — Sometown, TX Help Desk Technician, 2012 to 2015
- Partnered with Tier II and Tier III help desk peers based in the US, India and Brazil to resolve complex problems that required escalation. Provided detailed descriptions of issues in trouble ticket system and followed up diligently to ensure swift resolutions.
- Received "outstanding" ratings on performance reviews each year, with top marks in teamwork, customer service, communication skills and technical problem-solving.
EDUCATION & CREDENTIALS
Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician (MCDST) Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) CompTIA A+
ABC COLLEGE — Sometown, TX Completed Courses in Computer Science and Liberal Arts
Get a resume review
People look to you for help when their systems aren't properly working, and when it comes to your job search, there are people you can reach out to for help too. Could your resume benefit from a QA assessment? Get a free resume evaluation today from the experts at Monster's Resume Writing Service . You'll get detailed feedback in two business days, including a review of your resume's appearance and content, and a prediction of a recruiter's first impression. It's a quick and easy way to upgrade your job search.
Most Helpful In Resumes
Customizable Nurse Practitioner Resume Sample
By Jennifer Verta, Monster Contributor
How to Write a Successful LPN Resume
Freelance writer resume sample.
By Martina Mascali, Monster Contributor
Chef Resume Sample
Therapist resume sample.
By Venus Gentile, Monster Contributor
- Resume Examples
- Administrative Resumes
3 Help Desk Resume Examples - Here's What Works In 2023
As a help desk specialist, you keep the company up and running by providing technical support. your role is to help both end-users and employees troubleshoot their issues with software or hardware. that is why help-desk professions are so important in any organization. do you want to take your resume to the next level check out this guide. we’ll help you create your own help desk resume with three customizable templates and insightful tips. let’s get started..
A help desk is an IT system and the main point of contact between a company and its users. It provides support for both its personnel and customers. Additionally, these systems include self-service resources such as articles and a community channel. They have a contact channel where users can request a help desk analyst to help them solve their issues with products. Employees can also talk to technicians if they need help with setup or networking issues.
Help desk technicians must be proficient at troubleshooting and networking. These are two main things you should mention in your resume. You should also have excellent communication skills and logical thinking to resolve issues efficiently.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the majority of entry-level computer support specialists have an associate degree in a computer science -related field. However, some employers will hire candidates with only a high-school diploma and relevant IT experience. You can also include relevant certifications in your resume to stand out.
Most help desks work with support tickets to keep track of the volume of requests and prioritize those with higher urgency. As a help desk specialist, you can work on multiple bulks of tickets with a prioritization approach.
In this guide, we’ll discuss some of the different help desk roles and give you tips on how to optimize your resume. Take a look below to get more insights about each career.
Help Desk Resume Templates
Jump to a template:
- Help Desk Analyst
- Help Desk Technician
- IT Help Desk (Entry Level)
Jump to a resource:
- Keywords for Help Desk Resumes
- Action Verbs to Use
- Writing a Resume Summary
- Related Administrative Resumes
- Similar Careers to a Help Desk
- Help Desk CV Examples
Template 1 of 3: Help Desk Analyst Resume Example
Help desk analysts assist customers and employees with technical support via email or phone calls. They have a customer service role as well as an IT technician. That’s why it is vital to demonstrate outstanding interpersonal skills in your resume. Sometimes you will be talking to people who don’t have a technical background, so you must be patient and explicative.
We're just getting the template ready for you, just a second left.
Tips to help you write your Help Desk Analyst resume in 2023
demonstrate your knowledge of help desk software..
Most help desk analysts work with specialized software like Jira to optimize operations. This type of software helps technicians with ticket prioritization and automation. Therefore, it is crucial to mention in your resume that you are familiar with these systems.
Highlight your technical skills.
Some employers might overlook your educational background if you have the right skills and experience. That’s why it is important to put some effort into this section. Include skills like troubleshooting, networking, customer service, etc. It is vital to focus on your technical competencies.
Skills you can include on your Help Desk Analyst resume
Template 2 of 3: help desk technician resume example.
A help desk technician’s primary goal is to improve customer satisfaction by helping them resolve technical issues with the organization’s product. That’s why your resume should be tailored to the IT industry. They will also assist employees with technical queries. Another relevant help desk technician's responsibility is to educate employees on how to use machinery and software.
Tips to help you write your Help Desk Technician resume in 2023
indicate your familiarity with agile principles..
Most help desk technicians work with an Agile approach. This helps them reduce productivity leaks and encourages collaboration among team members and stakeholders. That’s why it is worth mentioning your knowledge of this system in your resume. Technicians who are familiar with Agile principles are generally more efficient.
Mention your abilities to cooperate with teams.
As we mentioned earlier, help desk technicians often assist employees with technical support, but they must also help them understand how to use software and hardware responsibly. Therefore, collaboration and team work skills are competencies that you must highlight in your resume.
Skills you can include on your Help Desk Technician resume
Template 3 of 3: it help desk (entry level) resume example.
Help desk centers usually work in tiers, meaning that technicians have a designated level of complexity with technical support. Some of them handle advanced issues while others focus on basic setup tasks and lower-level troubleshooting. That is precisely the work of an entry-level IT help desk specialist since they don’t have extensive experience on their resume.
Tips to help you write your IT Help Desk (Entry Level) resume in 2023
include volunteering experience in it..
Having a lack of professional experience in help desk centers doesn’t have to prevent you from applying to this position. You can also include relevant experience in volunteering and internships. These days, this type of on-the-job training has a lot of value in the IT industry.
Highlight projects in which you used your transferrable skills.
If you have worked in personal or extracurricular projects where you used your technical support skills, you can mention that in your resume. This is a good idea to demonstrate your value. You can highlight skills from this experience, such as problem-solving and troubleshooting.
Skills you can include on your IT Help Desk (Entry Level) resume
Action verbs for help desk resumes, skills for help desk resumes.
As a help desk analyst, you must have a combination of technical support and customer service skills, since you’ll be working with people. You must have analytic thinking, attention to detail, patience, and team working skills. These are traits that you should highlight in your resume.
The skills section is very important for a help desk specialist's resume, so you should spend some research in advance. Try to find related job posts and find opportunities for skills that you can add. This way, your resume has better chances of getting past applicant tracking systems and it’s more relevant for your potential employer.
- Technical Support
- Active Directory
- Computer Hardware
- Help Desk Support
- Windows Server
- Customer Service
- Operating Systems
- Microsoft Access
- Printer Support
- Remote Desktop
- Software Installation
- Information Technology
- System Administration
- Computer Repair
- Microsoft Exchange
- Network Administration
- Computer Hardware Troubleshooting
Skills Word Cloud For Help Desk Resumes
This word cloud highlights the important keywords that appear on Help Desk job descriptions and resumes. The bigger the word, the more frequently it appears on job postings, and the more 'important' it is.
How to use these skills?
Action verbs for help desk resumes.
Help desk analysts must possess excellent communication skills and be extremely reliable. To demonstrate this in your resume, it is important to use the right language. You can streamline your resume by adding bullet points to your work history and describing your experience and achievements.
These bullet points should start with strong action verbs that accurately describe your experience. Action verbs provide trustworthiness and improve readability, so this is an excellent way to impress your potential employer.
For more related action verbs, visit Customer Service Action Verbs .
For a full list of effective resume action verbs, visit Resume Action Verbs .
How To Write a Resume Summary for a Help Desk Resume
If you're a senior-level employee, or you're changing careers to become a Help Desk, it's useful to add a paragraph at the top of your resume highlighting your most impressive accomplishments. This is called a resume summary. Here's an example of a summary that can be used on a Help Desk resume.
A resume summary is a totally optional section, and in most cases, it's better to leave it out of your resume than include it. For example, if you're a student or mid-level hire, you should not include a summary, and instead use the space to add to your work experience.
To learn how to write an effective resume summary for your Help Desk resume, or figure out if you need one, please read Help Desk Resume Summary Examples , or Help Desk Resume Objective Examples .
Other Administrative Resumes
- Customer Service Resume Guide
- Virtual Assistant Resume Guide
- Administrative Assistant Resume Guide
- Executive Assistant Resume Guide
- Office Manager Resume Guide
- Research Assistant Resume Guide
- Customer Success Resume Guide
- Back Office Resume Guide
- Inventory Manager Resume Guide
- Desktop Support Resume Guide
- Loan Processor Resume Guide
- Warehouse Manager Resume Guide
- Fundraising Resume Guide
- Service Desk Resume Guide
Help Desk Resume Guide
- Administrative Coordinator Resume Guide
- Administration Resume Guide
- Scheduling Resume Guide
- Gig Economy Resume Guide
- Project Administrator Resume Guide
- Facilities Resume Guide
- Revenue Cycle Resume Guide
- Help Desk Analyst Resume Example
- Help Desk Technician Resume Example
- IT Help Desk (Entry Level) Resume Example
- Skills and Keywords to Add
- All Resume Examples
- Help Desk Cover Letter
- Help Desk Interview Guide
- Explore Alternative and Similar Careers
Download this PDF template.
Creating an account is free and takes five seconds. you'll get access to the pdf version of this resume template., choose an option..
- Have an account? Sign in
E-mail Please enter a valid email address This email address hasn't been signed up yet, or it has already been signed up with Facebook or Google login.
Password Show Your password needs to be between 6 and 50 characters long, and must contain at least 1 letter and 1 number. It looks like your password is incorrect.
Forgot your password?
Sign up to get access to Resume Worded's Career Coaching platform in less than 2 minutes
Name Please enter your name correctly
E-mail Remember to use a real email address that you have access to. You will need to confirm your email address before you get access to our features, so please enter it correctly. Please enter a valid email address, or another email address to sign up. We unfortunately can't accept that email domain right now. This email address has already been taken, or you've already signed up via Google or Facebook login. We currently are experiencing a very high server load so Email signup is currently disabled for the next 24 hours. Please sign up with Google or Facebook to continue! We apologize for the inconvenience!
Password Show Your password needs to be between 6 and 50 characters long, and must contain at least 1 letter and 1 number.
Receive resume templates, real resume samples, and updates monthly via email
Lost your password? Please enter the email address you used when you signed up. We'll send you a link to create a new password.
E-mail This email address either hasn't been signed up yet, or you signed up with Facebook or Google. This email address doesn't look valid.
Back to log-in
These professional templates are optimized to beat resume screeners (i.e. the Applicant Tracking System). You can download the templates in Word, Google Docs, or PDF. For free (limited time).
access samples from top resumes, get inspired by real bullet points that helped candidates get into top companies., get a resume score., find out how effective your resume really is. you'll get access to our confidential resume review tool which will tell you how recruiters see your resume..
Writing an effective resume has never been easier .
Upgrade to resume worded pro to unlock your full resume review., get this resume template (+ 2 others), plus proven bullet points., for a small one-time fee, you'll get everything you need to write a winning resume in your industry., here's what you'll get:.
- 📄 Get the editable resume template in Google Docs + Word . Plus, you'll also get all 2 other templates .
- ✍️ Get sample bullet points that worked for others in your industry . Copy proven lines and tailor them to your resume.
- 🎯 Optimized to pass all resume screeners (i.e. ATS) . All templates have been professionally designed by recruiters and 100% readable by ATS.
Buy now. Instant delivery via email.
instant access. one-time only., what's your email address.
I had a clear uptick in responses after using your template. I got many compliments on it from senior hiring staff, and my resume scored way higher when I ran it through ATS resume scanners because it was more readable. Thank you!
IT Help Desk Support Resume Samples
The role of an IT Help Desk Support is to provide technical and troubleshooting assistance for issues pertaining to System hardware, software, mobile devices or other tools. A typical sample IT Help Desk Support Resume highlights duties such as – providing technical assistance through phone or email, performing remote troubleshooting service through diagnostic techniques, delivering effective solutions, providing accurate information on IT product and service, following up and updating customer information and status; installing computer peripherals and training computer users.
Some of the essential skills considered valuable by employers include –proven work experience, outstanding working knowledge of database, remote control, and office automation products; ability to diagnose and solve technical issues , a good understanding of tech products, mobile devices, and computer systems , and customer-oriented approach. The level of education varies based on employer, but most of the candidates hold a college degree in the relevant subject.
- Resume Samples
- IT Help Desk Support
Junior IT Help Desk Support Resume
Objective : Junior IT Help Desk Support professional with 4 years of experience is seeking to work as an IT Business Analyst in a challenging and professional environment and allowing expansion in areas of expertise or other domains of Technology.
Skills : MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Explorer, Problem Solving: Troubleshooting Network Problems, Internet Connection Issues, Printer Connection Errors, And Login Problems Hardware/Software: Changed And Replaced Various Computer Components.
- Assisted in determining requirements and developing plans to ensure smooth installation and documentation of new software and applications.
- Performed analysis/troubleshooting of pcs peripheral devices including printers.
- Performed scans on PCs ensuring network devices are 100% compliant with latest security patches.
- Scheduled, tracked and deployed Windows 7 to over 250 desktops for employees on the network.
- Performed capture and restore of users profiles using Microsoft System Configuration Management (SCCM).
- Installed software applications manually and through SCCM on desktops.
- Created a developing knowledge base of common user issues, descriptions and resolutions.
- Researched and implemented wireless presentation prototypes for use by executives.
- Repaired computers, laptops, and networks, with knowledge of all the hardware and software involved in a dormitory environment.
Senior IT Help Desk Support Resume
Summary : Senior IT Help Desk Support professional with 8 plus years of experience is looking for a position where I can use my experience and knowledge of new IT methodologies to provide quality customer service for the growth and success of the company.
Skills : CP/IP, UDP, ICMP, DNS And Network Management Tools, Ticketing System, CISCO Routers And WAN Communication Protocols, Excellent Software And Hardware Computer Knowledge, Effective Time Management And Prioritization, Team Working, Effective Team Dynamics.
- Providing the support for all help desk related task including answering questions, troubleshooting problems, teaching or instructing customers regarding software or hardware functionality, and troubleshooting printer issues and resolving difficulties
- Answering, evaluating and prioritizing the incoming telephone, voicemail, email, and in-person requests for assistance from users experiencing problems with hardware, software, networking, and other computer-related technologies across a global company.
- Configuring and installing the Windows workstations and Macintosh operating systems in response to the demands of a complex network design.
- Accessing the software updates, drivers, knowledge bases, and FAQs resources on the intranet to assist with end users issues.
- Installing, certifying and troubleshooting the campus and remote-campus network cabling infrastructure including, a wide variety of local area network equipment and software.
- Training the end-users on the use and features of the various operating systems and applications on various platforms.
- Demonstrating the customer service skills, such as actively listening to customers in order to understand each issue and situation, providing proper follow-up and status updates.
IT Help Desk Support Resume
Headline : Great Customer Service Skills. Detail oriented and highly energetic IT Help Desk Support professional with 5 plus years of experience in the IT domain is seeking a position with a reputable company where I can utilize my education and training to go further in technology.
Skills : Customer Service, IT, SEO, Inside Sales And Support, Public Speaking, Business To Business Sales, Public Trust Clearance , Remedy, CRM, Website Design, Microsoft Office
- Assisted and supported the IT service desk for Chicago Public Schools, Charter, and Contractors. Provided quality customer service to clients.
- Used active directory to unlock and reset windows passwords, created user accounts and assigned passwords, group policies, created and reserved static IP address through DHCP server tools, bound clients through VPN.
- Provided support for go-live date for the POS system, software deployment, installation, upgrading, user support, hardware repair, malfunction troubleshooting, reports.
- Worked with the configuration of USB devices and new monitors, new registers and peripheral devices, LAN, created service request tickets on footprints and escalated the unresolved issues.
- Demonstrated the ability to analyze, develop and implement technological solutions using software, client/server architectures, databases, and Microsoft Excel advanced functions.
- Assisted the users with the installation and configuration of desktop/laptop computers and peripheral equipment and software within established standards.
- Worked with infrastructure staff to determine and resolve problems received from clients.
- Worked with vendor support to resolve technical problems with desktop computing equipment, software and IT related hardware.
Jr. IT Help Desk Support Resume
Objective : IT Help Desk Support is responsible for responding to customers’ technical needs. This includes assisting them with any issues with their systems, including hardware, software and network configurations. This role is responsible for managing the IT support center, including a range of support services and their associated costs.
Skills : Active Directory, Imaging, JIRA, MAC, Maintenance
- Responsible to resolve queries of customers through e-mail, phone, and chat within established TAT.
- Managing and taking ownership of the resolution process for all customer related issues.
- Recognizing the problems outside the CHD environment and escalating to the respective functional support groups.
- Using the appropriate tools to document all pertinent details of support inquiries: HP Service Manager Ticketing System, Outlook, PHI Tracking Tool, etc.
- Maintaining up to date knowledge and assimilate quickly to product enhancements and releases.
- Understanding and complying with security and support policies and procedures.
- Troubleshooting, repairing and upgrading the mission-critical PC and MAC computers, peripherals, and mobile devices.
- Troubleshooting, installing and upgrading the software applications and operating systems on network attached computers.
- Installing the computer peripherals and setup software and the operating system to allow computers to connect to the network and computing resources.
IT Help Desk Support Technician Resume
Objective : Junior IT Help Desk Support professional with 2 years of experience is seeking to obtain a position utilizing my strong technical background with an emphasis on high performance.
Skills : Hardware: Desktop And Laptops, Printers: Lexmark And HP LaserJet, Software: MS Office And Active Directory, Operating System: Server 2012 And Windows7, Mail: Lotus Notes And Exchange, Ticket Tracking: Remedy And ServiceNow, Main Frame: AS400, Citrix And Feps, Provided Both Hardware And Software Technical Support
- Created and escalated the incidents, and service requests influenced by ITIL in heat ticketing system.
- Supported and troubleshoot Office 365 migration for internal and remote users with their corporate devices and mobile phones.
- Triaged and begin the critical incident process for IT infrastructure and service outages.
- Supported locations all over the US as well as locations in Canada, Mexico, and offshore locations such as Kochi India.
- Responsible for answering incoming calls from the healthcare provider community.
- Ensured calls are handled completely and professionally. Properly documented each call and provided resolution within 24 hours.
- Escalated the calls as required by program guidelines. Interacted with all team levels and participated in the communication, maintenance, and changes in new and current program materials.
- Provided prompt and accurate responses according to service level agreements.
- Proactively identified the opportunities to improve upon existing process flows.
IT Help Desk Support II Resume
Headline : IT Help Desk Support professional with 5 plus years of experience is seeking to contribute to the overall success of a company in a position of diverse responsibility which, requires strong organizational, planning, problem-solving and follow-through skills.
Skills : Networking: Internet Protocols, Routing Protocols, DHCP, DNS, TCP/IP, Web Servers, Technical Troubleshooting, Hardware Configurations. Offshore Team Collaboration, Software Installs, Preventive Maintenance, User Support, Technical Support, Customer Service.
- Assisted with setup, structuring and support of the service desk after bringing it back in-house to assist 500 local, national and global internal users with basic troubleshooting and problem-solving.
- Installed and set up, repaired desktops/laptops for the upgrade, replacement, maintenance.
- Used Team Viewer to remote into users PC for desktop support, hardware troubleshooting (laptops/PCs/printers, subway POS), test software releases, installations, error resolutions, LAN configuration, back up, imaging, restoring, clearing cache, tune-up PC.
- Created restoration points, input tickets into footprints and documentation, incident tickets and description for training purposes, backups, recoveries.
- Acted as a liaison between desktop support and technical support team to get users issues resolved promptly, participated in customer/employees technical troubleshooting through calls.
- Responsible for assisting employees with iPhone email setup and troubleshooting.
- Responsible for shipping out and receiving/documenting newly received equipment for the entire department.
IT Help Desk Technician Resume
Objective : IT Help Desk Support with 3 plus years of experience in the IT domain. Excellent communication and organizational skills, strong technological and interpersonal skills. Solves problems quickly, resolves conflicts and meet deadlines while working independently or with a team. Ambitious and eager to learn to prove to be a positive asset to your organization.
Skills : Hardware: Desktop And Laptops, Printers: Lexmark And HP LaserJet, Software: MS Office And Active Directory, Operating System: Server 2012 And Windows7, Mail: Lotus Notes And Exchange.
- Provided internal tier one support for the hardware and software issues of over 25,000 associates in branches and back offices across a 16 state footprint.
- Troubleshoot and corrected the issues with hardware, OS software, and applications.
- Resolved issues such as no internet, networking connectivity, printer and new pc installations.
- Acted as initial point of contact for user support calls to the IT service desk such that all calls are logged correctly and promptly allocated appropriately within the IT team.
- Provided first-line technical support when handling calls, in order to provide time-of-call resolution to calls whenever possible.
- Provided an ad-hoc service to users of all computer systems, troubleshooting and resolving systems problems.
- Carried out a prescribed program of system performance monitoring, measurement, management, and capacity planning for computer systems, to support a pro-active approach to meeting changing system demands.
- Assisted in the maintenance of the service desk knowledge base.
IT Help Desk Support (Intern) Resume
Objective : IT Help Desk Support professional with 2 plus years of experience is looking to obtain a challenging position in a fast-paced environment that will allow me to extend my skills in communication with customers, organization, and leadership.
Skills : Microsoft Suite, Office Management, IT Management, Customer Service, Investigations, Windows 7, Windows 10, Networking And Office
- Unlocking the user accounts and resetting the passwords, performing troubleshooting duties for end users.
- Verifying and maintaining the user accounts through active directory, issued SQL hot ids for qualified users.
- Remotely troubleshooting and diagnosing the user laptop and desktop computers by using Dameware, directing the users on self-diagnosis.
- Remotely pushed software to user computer by using System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM), pushed various software applications (Adobe, Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Office).
- Navigating through various mainframes to keep user accounts current and functioning.
- Receiving an average of thirty-three calls a day, document each call and incident through service now ticketing system.
- Monitoring, troubleshooting and ensuring the timely completion of internal and external help desk tickets.
- Examining and resolving the customers’ and corporate and store employees’ issues.
Summary : Detail-oriented IT Help Desk Support professional with 10 plus years of experience in the most popular systems support. Highly motivated and committed to maintaining a business technical progress with integrity. Proven ability to troubleshoot and solve problems.
Skills : Windows XP, Windows 8, Windows Vista, Windows 7, CompTIA A+, Computer Hardware, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, Windows 10, Zebra Printers, HP Printers, Cisco Meraki, Cisco Phone, Android Tablets, Android Phones, Helpdesk Support, Red Prairie Warehouse Management Software, Lansweeper, Casezilla Ticket Software, Footprints Ticket Software, AirWatch, Samsung Knox
- Handling IT help desk support with a positive attitude towards technical problems with software, passwords, network drives, company websites, hardware(pc, mobile devices, desk phones).
- Utilizing administrative rights for software help(repair, recovery, upgrade, access), network access, global access, and remote connection.
- Checking (called and/or e-mailed) with users on tickets that were escalated to company support groups.
- Communicating with the company support groups to update, expedite resolution of a ticket, and resolve tickets.
- Creating and managing users via Active Directory, Microsoft Exchange, I3 phone system (SIP stations), Microsoft Dynamics CRM.
- Configuring and installing the hardware and software and determining any associated issues.
- Troubleshooting the VoIP phone technologies such as ShoreTel, Cisco, and Etherspeak.
- Providing support for employees across the company.
- Troubleshooting printers, network, and computer issues.
Summary : IT Help Desk Support professional with over 7 plus years of experience in the IT industry working in several different areas including IT support, computer and electronics repair/maintenance, end-user training, and Microsoft Active Directory user administration. I am an outgoing, customer-service oriented team player that enjoys working with people. I am also fluent in both Spanish and English.
Skills : IT, Hardware, Hardware, Spanish, English, Active Directory, Active Directory, Electronics, Windows, Printers
- Provided technical support to customers via telephone, email, remote connection, personal assistant, and through SCSM ticketing system.
- Helped customers identify and resolve issues regarding general computer problems, printing, internet access, emails, network drives, remote connections, smartphone settings, etc.
- Responsible for applying windows and anti-virus updates to computers and servers in the high-security area.
- Created help desk documentation with step by step instructions on how to resolve some of the most common computer problems.
- Responsible for diagnosing and repairing circuit boards for industrial printing equipment, computer motherboards, and any other malfunctioning electrical equipment in need of service.
- Print server administrator, install or uninstall printers, clean errors, updated printer drivers.
- Responsible to prepare new equipment for new hiring even from a fresh load of windows and programs or multiple setups of computers with Acronis to load images.
- Prioritized and responded to help desk tickets using proper recording practices.
- Assisted with laptop and mobile device set-up, imaging, and installation, as required.
Table of Contents
Recent posts, download this pdf template., creating an account is free and takes five seconds. you'll get access to the pdf version of this resume template., choose an option., unlock the power of over 10,000 resume samples., take your job search to the next level with our extensive collection of 10,000+ resume samples. find inspiration for your own resume and gain a competitive edge in your job search., get hired faster with resume assistant., make your resume shine with our resume assistant. you'll receive a real-time score as you edit, helping you to optimize your skills, experience, and achievements for the role you want., get noticed with resume templates that beat the ats., get past the resume screeners with ease using our optimized templates. our professional designs are tailored to beat the ats and help you land your dream job..